What is an Essential Oil?


Love Essential Oil Blend

In my line of work I meet a lot of people that are 'in the know' of essential oils but I also meet a lot of people that have no idea what I am talking about. I am here to clear the air (quite literally speaking) so you know exactly what I use in my products and why.

I have always felt strongly that people should know exactly what ingredients are in the products they purchase and use (especially on their bodies) so I have always held myself to that standard; transparency is key. So first and for most, at the epicenter off all my creations are essential oils.
What are essential oils?

Essential oils are highly volatile, complex chemical structures made up of plant molecules.

They are known to be the life force of the plant: concentrated energy that allows plants to function as they should. But, fun fact: essential oils aren’t actually oils.

The term “essential oil” is a misnomer that's been in the industry since the beginning. They’re actually pure plant essences that only act like oil.

Most essential oils are actually really thin like water, only a few like Vetiver or Myrrh are thicker. Don't be fooled though, they do not mix with water just like oil doesn't. They especially do not dilute with water so if you are entering the world of essential oils remember to never use water to dilute, always use a carrier oil or something similar like a butter.
Where do essential oils come from?

Essential oils come from various species of flowers, grasses, fruits, leaves and trees. They are found in the secretory system of plants (in other words, the bark, seeds, leaves, petals, stems and roots). On average, essential oils are 80 times more potent than the dried form of the herb.

I have been told that 1 drop of peppermint oil was like drinking over 200 cups of peppermint tea. Not sure how true this statement is but in any case its trying to show you how potent the oils are compared to dried or fresh herbs.

One thing I have to take into consideration is proper dilution ratios. Sometimes my products are more faint on the smell because I don't want to cause any harm to any one.

Oils are so powerful and should be treated as such. They can cause your skin to break out in hives/rash or even a burn if they are not diluted correctly.

How are essential oils created?

STEAM DISTILLATION

This is the primary way that true essential oils are collected from plant material

COLD EXPRESSION

Used exclusively to collect citrus essential oils, cold expression is when the outer skin (or rind) of citrus fruit is put under pressure to release the essential oil. The collected liquid is then put through a centrifuge to separate the essential oil from the juice of the fruit. Expressed citrus oils, while potent and aromatic, also contain naturally occurring, non-volatile substances such as wax, and tend to be more sensitive to sunlight.

SOLVENT EXTRACTION

Solvent extraction involves soaking plant material in a solvent to draw the fragrance out in a liquid called an absolute. It works for any type of plant matter but is typically used for more fragile material, like flowers. The resulting mixture is then processed several times to separate the absolute from the solvent and any plant residue.

In some products I have, such as the Vibrant Series, there is Absolute Oils in them. Vanilla has a sediment in it from the distillation process which is totally natural and will not hurt anything. A lot of people do not like to use the real oil because of this and will use a vanilla fragrance which is synthetic and can cause harm and disrupt our hormones.

I am not about that. I don't think we should be looking for an absolutely polished product when we are using plants. If you have ever grown your own food you will see all the strange shapes veggies and fruit can take. I think its too high of a standard to expect anything less than imperfect since we are dealing with living things that are just as humans and not perfect.

So if you end up purchasing from me and you see an absolute oil like Vanilla in the product do not be surprised to see a little sediment collect at the bottom of the jar or bottle. It's just proof that it's real 😉

Another thing to consider is every crop is different! I may buy a bottle of Lime that smells super yummy and sweet and my next bottle will smell more tart (I actually have 2 bottles of Lime right now like this)

So when buying any of my products please take note that the smells may change slightly and that this is a good sign and proves that the oils I use are real! If they always smelled exactly the same you should be questioning me!

I have had one blend in particular change quite a bit because the Clary Sage I had purchased was much more bitter than the last bottle I had had. I didn't change the recipe at all but it definitely smelled more bitter.

CO2 EXTRACTION

This method uses carbon dioxide as a solvent to produce something called an extract. When carbon dioxide reaches a certain temperature, it enters a “supercritical” state, meaning it’s somewhere between a liquid and a gas. This allows for safe extraction from even the most delicate of plants. When the CO2 returns to its natural gaseous state, it dissipates completely, leaving behind a pure essential oil-like compound.

How can you use essential oils?

There are several ways in which to apply essential oils to positively affect the mind and body.

The most common way to use essential oils is to inhale them, both for their amazing scent and their therapeutic properties. But they can also be used in diffusers and humidifiers, as well as diluted with a carrier oil and applied to the skin.

Essential oils have a wide range of medicinal and therapeutic properties. Their antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties make them a useful product in your medicine cabinet.

They have also been shown to also improve skin conditions, help treat the common cold, and encourage healthy digestion to just name a few. 

Cosmetic Aromatherapy – Used for cleansing, moisturizing, drying, and toning on the skin, body, face, and air. It is also beneficial to use in a full-body or foot bath.

Massage Aromatherapy – Essential oils are combined with carrier oils to use for massage.

Medical Aromatherapy – Used to promote and treat clinically diagnosed medical ailments, and even for massage on patients during surgery.

Olfactory Aromatherapy – Inhaling essential oils can enhance emotional well-being, encouraging relaxation and calmness.

Psycho-aromatherapy – Since our brain links scents with memories, essential oils can help promote a pleasant memory by infusing it in the room of the patient.

One of my favorite ways to use oils is with Aromatherapy Jewelry. Not only can you wear something pretty or for men just something that looks nice ;) but you can use essential oils on them! Use them as a perfume, or use them for medical conditions like anxiety and depression. Even for Allergies! It is such a versatile combo and one that we should take advantage of! 


So now you know what an essential oil is, where it comes from and how it can be used. 

You also learned a little of what to expect when it comes to my products. As much as I try to make everything look polished I know that at the end of the day I am using plants and sometimes there is going to be things like sediment or a slight change in smell and it's ok for those things to be there or happen. It shows how real I am and how real what I use is. 

Quality is incredibly important to me. I understand what oils can do and how vital it is of how they are sourced. Transparency is also a major rule I follow. Always feel free to ask questions about where the ingredients came from. I will always answer and some of the time I can even provide documents (depends on how long I have had the product)

Thanks for tuning into my first blog post. I hope I shed some light on essential oils. Feel free to subscribe to learn more cool things that plants can do! 😉😁

Purchase Love Essential Oil Blend here:


Sources:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gift of Thyme

No More Fear of Allergies

Presenting: Pain Balm