The delights of Peppermint

Peppermint is one of the most popular herbal plants there is! It is also one of those most known and used essential oils and for good reason!

Peppermint from my garden

Not only is peppermint oil one of the oldest European herbs used for medicinal purposes, but other historical accounts date its use to ancient Japanese and Chinese folk medicine. It’s also mentioned in Greek mythology when the nymph Mentha (or Minthe) was transformed into a sweet-smelling herb by Pluto, who had fallen in love with her and wanted people to appreciate her for years to come.

The many peppermint oil uses have been documented back to 1000 B.C. and have been found in several Egyptian pyramids. Source

It has a long list of benefits and uses including its ability to improve digestion, alleviate respiratory problems, headaches, nausea, feverstomach and bowel spasms, hair & skin care, as well as aches & pains. It is even fantastic at keeping away pests such as spiders and wasps!

Peppermint is a cross between watermint and spearmint and is native to Europe. This antimicrobial herb has been known for its medicinal uses, and its impressively long history often gives it the prestigious title as the world’s oldest medicine. Unlike many other herbs and essential oils, numerous health benefits of peppermint and its oil have been studied and proven by science. As a result, this oil is also sold in the form of capsules and tablets and is even prescribed by doctors of alternative and modern medicine. Source

This was one of three essential oils that I first introduced to and Peppermint in particular was the oil that sold me on oils. 

I inhaled it while suffering from a bad headache and noticed an immediate relief, from there I tried inhaling it with nausea and also saw an improvement! 

My husband and I also noticed it helped wake us up when we were feeling tired and helped improved memory even. We used Peppermint all the time!

Orange Peppermint in my garden
About a decade ago I was just dipping my toe in the water with essential oils and having so many benefits from just this one oil, it was so thrilling that a tiny bottle with a minty smell could preform so well! The best part was it was just straight up plants so that was my favorite part. 

This oil is such a great one to have on hand, especially in our current global crisis with the covid virus because it is a great respiratory aid! Peppermint helps so much with clearing congestion and opening airways. 

I have Peppermint in Breathe Essential Oil Blend and Clear Balm that I designed to help clear air ways and break up congestion. 

Another huge benefit to Peppermint is its pain relief aspect! I mean really, its great for helping headaches as well as other aches and pains, including nerve pain. 

ReConnect Balm is designed for tackling nerve pain and you guessed it, Peppermint is one of the many oils you will find in this balm!

Peppermint has been added to shampoos I have made to help with dandruff and itchiness, and with great success I might add. It is even supposed to help stimulate your scalp and help your hair grow. 

It is a great skincare addition especially if you struggle with a skin condition like eczema or psoriasis. Both conditions can cause uncomfortable itchiness that Peppermint has been proven to help calm. 

In the summer time we are prone to wasps and jumping ground spiders. I have one of those gallon garden sprayers that I add Peppermint, Eucalyptus, & Spearmint Oils and fill it with water. 

I spray all around the entire house, along the rafters above, along doors an windows and any where else I might see them grouping. 

I kid you not after just one spraying we don't have an issue all summer long. We even spray our big chopped wood pile that we stack for our winters and the amount of insects are so much lower than the first year we had a wood stove and no Peppermint oil. 

I'm talking 50 cent piece sized wolf spiders all over the wood haha talk about gross! 😓

It is even safe to spray on your other plants and around your garden to keep pests away!! It can even keep away cats!

Another major thing that I don't think is very well known is its ability to help heal wounds! Yes! It can help heal things like cuts and burns. 

First Aid Balm

If you want to learn more about essential oils or any products that I have available you can follow me on Facebook and/or Instagram as well as my website, naturesbestwithtess.com 

Sources:

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Source 4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More Fear of Allergies

A Gift of Thyme

Presenting: Pain Balm